We know Home is not always a Safe Place.
If you are experiencing domestic abuse you can take steps to keep you and your children safe.
- Always keep your mobile phone with you. Make sure it is charged and you have credit if you need to call for help.
- Save important telephone numbers on your phone, so that you can access them easily in an emergency .
- Think about where you can go if you don’t feel safe Are there family, friends or neighbours near-by that you can trust?
- Talk to family, friends or a trusted colleague, if you can.
- Have a code word you can use to alert family or friends if you need help, to come and get you or call the police.
- Reassure you children, and identify a safe place for them.
- Be prepared to leave the house in an emergency.
- If you feel threatened move to a room with easy access to an exit, NOT a kitchen.
- Keep your car keys, money and bank cards in a place where you can grab them easily.
- If you can, bring your passport and other important documents with you. Don’t forget medicines and any personal items you value.
- In an emergency do not hesitate to call 999.