Facts and Figures
- One in four women will experience domestic abuse.
- Over 30% of domestic abuse starts during pregnancy.
- Women are on average assaulted 35 times before they seek help.
- It is estimated that 32,000 children are living with domestic violence in Northern Ireland (UNICEF 2006).
- In 90% of instances of physical violence children and young people are in the same or next room.
- From 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 PSNI responded to 31,682 domestic abuse incidents, an increase of 135 (0.4 per cent) on the previous 12 months and the highest financial year figure recorded since 2004/05.
- Domestic abuse crimes represented 17.5% of all police recorded crime.
- There were five murders with a domestic abuse motivation during 2019/20.
- Police respond to one incident of domestic abuse every 17 minutes across Northern Ireland.
Women’s Aid NI Annual Report 2018-19
PSNI Domestic Abuse Incidence & Crimes 2019-20