Women’s Aid ABCLN is working towards a society where domestic abuse will not be tolerated and women and children can live free from the threat of violence.
Women’s Aid ABCLN provides high quality services and support to women and children affected by all forms of domestic abuse.
We are committed to working collaboratively, in partnership with women and children who are victims and survivors of domestic abuse, to provide them with the support to build the skills they have identified as necessary to meet their needs.
We also advocate, lobby, educate and challenge as appropriate on their behalf. We believe that this contributes to the delivery of effective, co-ordinated, responsive and accessible services for women and their children.
- To provide services and temporary refuge to women and children suffering domestic violence, be that emotional, physical, financial, verbal or sexual abuse.
- To empower and enable women to determine their own future.
- To recognise, respond and care for the emotional needs of children and young people.
- To offer support and guidance to any woman who asks for it, both in refuge and in her own community.
- To educate, inform and challenge the public, the media, police, courts, social services and other authorities about the prevalence and effects of domestic violence. We will always be mindful that domestic violence is a direct result of the general position of women in our society and perpetrators’ decisions to meet their own needs without negotiation because they believe that they are entitled to. Domestic violence is a breach of human rights.
Ethos & Core Values
We operate within an ethos of empowerment with women, children, staff and volunteers. This enables women to shape their futures, supporting them to make choices for themselves and their children. We are guided by a framework of equality and diversity.
Our Values Are
- Realistic and honest with all
- Empathetic and non-judgemental and compassionate
- Supportive providing safety and a supported response to all
- Positive have a positive attitude
- Earnest in ensuring that everyone is treated as an individual
- Clear, honest and respectful with all communication
We are governed by a voluntary Management Board which is responsible for strategic planning and decision making, financial governance and probity, and employment responsibility for all staff.
- Anne McAllister Chairperson
- Jackie Fisher
- Janice Hagan
- Jenni McQuoid
- Lisa Harris
- Valerie Morris
Members of the Management Board are proposed at the Annual General Meeting. Office bearers are elected at the first Management Board meeting following the Annual General Meeting. Board members receive specialist training to assist them to fulfil their roles in relation to governance of the organisation.
Senior Management Team
The day-to-day management and operation of the organisation is carried out by a staff team, led by the CEO and Senior Management Team who report to the Management Board.
CEO – Rosemary Magill
Area Manager – Fran O’Boyle
Finance Manager – Karen McConkey
Communication and Engagement Manager – Arlene Creighton
Articles of Association
Women’s Aid ABCLN is governed by Memorandum and Articles of Association.
ONUS is a social enterprise established by Women’s Aid ABCLN in 2007 to offer specialist training and consultancy services on domestic violence or abuse.
Women’s Aid ABCLN is a Platinum Safe Place Partner with ONUS.
Women’s Aid ABCLN is affiliated to Women’s Aid Federation NI which co-ordinates Women’s Aid Forum that meets on a monthly basis to discuss issues affecting all Women’s Aid groups across Northern Ireland.
Women’s Aid ABCLN is an accredited Silver Investors in People award holder demonstrating the organisation’s commitment to realising the potential of our staff and volunteers. We are also affiliates of the Fundraising Standards Board.
Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee
Women’s Aid Antrim, Ballymena, Carrickfergus, Larne and Newtownabbey is a charity registered with The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC105905 and a company limited by guarantee NI054434.